Wireless printers utilize their WiFi connection to print directly from your laptop. With a wireless printer your laptop doesn’t have to be connected to a printer cable , and the files can be transferred through the printer’s network from anywhere within your office or home. If you’re not connected to your internet connection the wireless printer may be able print documents you email to it. Learn how to print wirelessly.
The instructions in this article are applicable to wireless printers connected to laptops that run Windows 10, 8, or 7.
How to Connect the Wireless Printer to Your Wi-Fi
Wireless printers function through a network. If you’re using the printer at home, it is your internet wireless connection. If you work at office, this is your network at work.
The steps to connect the wireless printer the Wi-Fi network differs based on the model and manufacturer. Therefore, before beginning reading the manual for your printer and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for connecting your printer to a Wi-Fi connection.
Certain printer makers offer software that helps automate the procedure for connecting the printer Wi-Fi networks.
Configure Internet Access on the Printer
These are the basic steps for connecting an portable printer wirelessly to the Wi-Fi network
- Connect the Wi-Fi router, as well as the laptop.
- Turn on the printer.
- On the control panel of the printer navigate to the wireless settings.
If you have the Epson printer, go to the setupSettings > Wireless LAN settings. If you own the HP printer, visit the Network.
- Choose your wireless ID for the network Wi-Fi.
- You must enter the security code for the Wi-Fi network. It is also known as that of the WEP secret key, as well as the WPA Password for the router.
- The light that is wireless in the print head will switch to red when it is connected to Wi-Fi.
Troubleshoot Connection Problems
If you are having trouble connecting your device to Wi-Fi:
- Connect the printer and laptop using the cable for printing or a the USB cable. If your laptop prints directly to the printer using the cable, it may not be connected to Wi-Fi.
- Transfer the printer in order to gain an improved WiFi signal. It is possible that something is hindering the printer’s access. Examine the printer’s display to determine the strength of Wi-Fi; some printers are not equipped with this feature.
- Remove any printing jobs that are in the process of being completed. It could be that there is an issue with the file that prevents the printer to connect to Wi-Fi.
- Start the printer.
- Check that the firmware of your printer is current.
How to Connect a Printer to a Laptop Wirelessly
Once the printer is connected to Wi-Fi networks, connect it to the laptop.
- Connect the printer to the power source.
- Click on your Windows Search text box, and enter ” printer.”
- Select Printers & Scanners.
- On the window for Settings, choose Add Printer or Scanner.
- Select the printer you want to use.
- Select Add device.
- Then wait for a while as Windows configures the needed drivers and then adds your printer onto the computer.
- Windows may ask users to download additional programs. If so, choose Get App in order to install and download the application through Microsoft’s Store. Microsoft Store.
- After the setup is complete and the laptop prints to the wireless printer and is not linked to it using the USB connection or print cable.
- If Windows did not identify the printer click again to the Printers & scanners.
If Windows cannot find the printer, ensure that both the printer and laptop are on identical networks. If you’re using a WiFi Range Extender, then the extended zone is a separate network.
- Choose to the option to add a printer and scanner.
- Choose The printer I’m looking for isn’t on the list..
- Within the box for adding printers choose Add to add a Bluetooth wireless, network or discoverable printerand select the next.
- Choose the wireless printer, then select “Next”.
- Close the Settings after you’re done.
Add a Printer in Windows 8 and Windows 7
Setting up the settings to connect wireless printers to Windows 8 or Windows 7 laptop differs slightly.
- Click Startand choose Printers and Devices.
- Choose to the Add Printer option..
- On the Add Printer wizard, click the network you want to add wireless, Bluetooth Printer.
- In the printers list choose the printer that you wish to print.
- Select Next.
- Windows may require installing the driver for your printer. If so, choose to install the driver to proceed.
- Follow the steps of the wizard.
- Choose Endwhen you’re finished.
How to Print to a Wireless Printer Over Wi-Fi
Printing with your laptop on wireless printers is similar to using any other device for printing to any printer.
- Make sure that the printer is on, connected to Wi-Fi and that it has paper in the tray.
- Start the application or use a web browser to find the document you would like to print.
- Open the document that you want to print.
- Select the Printericon.
- Choose your wireless printer.
- Adjust the print settings if needed.
- Select Print.
- The printed pages are waiting to be printed in the tray for output of your printer.
How to Print Wirelessly When Away From Wi-Fi
Certain printers offer an email printing service. If you sign-up on their website, your printer will be given the email address. The email address you use for sending the file to your printer. If you’re away from home or at the office, you can choose to print your document using an wireless printer.
The email address can be located by searching the menu of your printer. If you have the menu of an HP printer, search at HP”ePrint”.
Printing a document even if your laptop isn’t connected to the same wireless network as the printer:
- Make sure that the WiFi router is on and the printer is turned up and linked to Wi-Fi network, and that there is paper in the tray of the printer.
- Open your favorite email app.
- Create an email with a brand new message.
- Within the Totext box, type in the email address that the printer manufacturer has assigned to the wireless printer.
- For the subject, type in the details of the printing job.
Certain print services for email require an subject. If no subject is provided and the print job is cancelled null and void.
- Upload the document you would like to print.
The service for printing emails may restrict the size and quantity of attachments. Additionally the file types that are supported could be limited.
- Send a message to the printer if you would like create a new document with the information on the document or additional instructions.
- Select Send.
- The file is then sent to the printer wireless and it is printed.